Since January 2013, in order to be eligible for automated bulk mail discounts, mailings are required to have an Intelligent Mail barcode. Being educated about the requirement prevents having bulk mail rejected by the Postal Service and it allows you to take advantage of postal discounts and tracking services.
What is the Intelligent Mail barcode (IMB)?
The Intelligent Mail barcode is a Postal Service barcode used to sort and track letters and flats. It expands the ability to track individual mailpieces and provides clients with better visibility into the mailstream.
How your mailer can benefit from the Intelligent Mail barcode
- Increases mailpiece “real estate” by eliminating the need for multiple barcodes. This means more room for marketing!
- Greater overall data capacity than other barcodes.
- Provides more accurate and detailed information about mailings. We know if and when mail is delivered, much faster than before.
- Provides streamlined address correction and helps eliminate undeliverable mail.
At FORMost we are up-to-speed on IMB and working hard every day to ensure that your mailing meets all of the requirements necessary for success – before and after it reaches the mailbox. Call us at 301-424-4242 for more information about the IMB or for more information on Postal regulations in general.
For more information on the Intelligent Mail barcode:
- RIBBS (Rapid Information Bulletin Board System) https://ribbs.usps.gov
- USPS Domestic Mail Manual http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/dmm300_landing.htm
- PostalOne® www.usps.com/postalone